Web Site Last Updated on

1908-1933

The years in which the Lodge resided in the Whiteinch Burgh Hall were indeed happy and prosperous ones. At the end of its first fifty years in 1933, the assets of the Lodge stood at £4,200. The Benevolent Fund, which had been established in 1889, had at its disposal in 1933 £1,100. Thus were the early Brethren truly concerned with the welfare of others.

The Lodge suffered the loss of many Brethren during the Great War. Almost every minute of the War years records the death of a Brother as a result of enemy action. Those returning on leave and visiting the Lodge were awarded Roll of Honour Certificates. These members were remembered at Christmas and gifts were sent to them. When victory was in sight, an In Memorial Lodge was held on Sunday 5th May, 1918. During the service, the Roll of Honour was called by the Secretary. The Last Post was sounded. The Brethren stood in silent tribute while the Dead March in Saul was played. A magnificent oration was delivered by the Chaplain, Bro. Rev. David Ness, M.A.

Even before the War ended, interest in the Craft seemed to be reviving. On 23rd May, 1918, 34 Entered Apprentices were passed to the Second Degree.

The Craft cannot escape the economic circumstances of the outside world. It is interesting that the Secretary’s report of 1932 makes reference to the ‘great depression of trade’. Indeed in its 50th year, there were only 5 entrants.

An important landmark in the Lodge’s history was celebrated on Saturday 6th May, 1933. A Special Meeting was called to commemorate its 50th Anniversary. On that occasion, the Chair was occupied by Bro. J.B. Miller. A Deputation from Provincial Grand Lodge headed by the P.G.M. Bro. John Marr Grant was received. Grand Secretary Bro. T. G. Winning also attended the Jubilee Meeting. Two of the Founder Members, Andrew Martin Smith, the first Master, and John Brodie, numbering 4 and 9 on the Lodge Roll respectively had the great satisfaction of seeing an ambition realised. Suitable congratulatory speeches were made by Bros. Winning and Grant. Once more guests enjoyed Lodge hospitality in the Grand Hotel.